Skip to main content

Technical Courses are for the Rich!!!

Apparently, this is what some of our primary school girls believe.




















I had the great honour and opportunity to attend this year's Ikolomani South Zonal Educational day which took place at Eregi Girls' Boarding Primary School. The annual event normally details presentation of the previous year's K.C.P.E (Kenya Certificate of Primary Education) examination results and trophies to pupils and schools with exemplary performance. 

Just before giving my talk (I didn't consider it much of a speech), I decided to carry out a small survey where I gave out questionnaires to 3 anonymous girls. I asked the following questions in the questionnaires:
    1.    Why are you in school?
    2.    What would you like to become in future (career wise)?
    3.    What qualifications do you require for you to become (your answer to 2)?

I would like you to take a moment and ask yourself what answers you would have given at the age of 12.

Here are the answers I got:
Question 1:
    •    To acquire knowledge
    •    To achieve in my future
    •    To build my future and become a great person
Question 2:
    •    I would like to be a lawyer
    •    I would like to be a manager
    •    I would like to be a neurosurgeon
Question 3:
No one gave an answer for this

I turned to the parents, teachers and then the pupils and asked where the problem was and who was to blame for the girls' not-so-good performance. I got no answer but the respective parties promised to go back to the drawing board and check what bits of their role they haven't been playing.




















After the function, many girls came up to me asking where I went to school (primary). I told them that I had gone to Lukusi and Shavirotsi Primary schools, both very remote and that we never wore shoes to school. They couldn't believe this…that's when I discovered that to them, to be successful, one must come from a very rich background...and be a boy for that matter. They believe that technical courses (those that require merit in Sciences including Mathematics) are only for girls and boys from well off families.

Is this true? Is it just an assumption by these girls. Time was not on our side so I promised to create a day just for the girls, where we'd sit down and talk... talk and talk about issues affecting them.

Afrigirl donated the trophy below and a shopping voucher to the best girl in Science. 

























Watch this space for a couple of recommendations that I came up with, and will be presenting to the girls/parents/teachers during my next visit.

View more photos from the function on our Facebook page and do not forget to like the page.

Email me your /views/recommendations/story or simply leave a comment.

Comments

  1. you are doing good by encouraging the girls but the idea that some causes are meant for the rich is because their dreams are crushed very early in life especially with the parents themselves..

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Kusoma Tu Trust - What you need to know

I first learnt of  Kusoma Tu Trust  while working at  Haba Haba . We had just launched this amazing learning and revision application -  Revision844  and were looking to work with various schools to test the app. The fact that the Kusoma Tu had piloted in a primary school that I had attended got me really excited and I wanted to know even more about it. A briefing during a visit to Kawangware Primary school. With the Habahaba.co team. Have you ever pictured yourself being in a situation where it's just a few months to your final exams yet you do not even know how to write your own name? Not being able to read simple 3 lettered words? How then would you be able to read questions, understand them and provide answers in the so called National (final) exam? What value will you have gotten out of primary school with? Some of the advanced readers. It was a joy going through passages together Well, as unbelievable as it may sound, there are kids who go through scho

A sister needs help - Help bury Wacuka's dad

I met Phyllis Wacuka Munene for the very first time in 2007, during an interview for bright female students who would later on be sponsored for Engineering courses by the Government of Kenya through the National Industrial Training Council. Phyllis and I were part of the 7 lucky beneficiaries sent to The Eldoret Polytechnic, where I studied Civil Engineering and she, Mechanical Engineering, plant division. Being in a completely new town and for the very first time in our lives saw to it that we stayed closely knit together as friends and more of a family. Our graduation day in 2010 Today Wacuka is one very sad lady. She lost her dad who was the sole bread winner, only remaining parent and best friend to her. She celebrates the moments they shared during his time on earth and how he was dedicated to raising his kids (Wacuka and her younger brother). What breaks her is the fact that her desire to lay the remains of her dad to rest are far from a dream at the moment. P

'FOCUS' INTERVIEW: Trizah's fitness journey

I have known Trizah for quite some time now. She has been a source of encouragement at a personal level as I have loved all the values she stands for. Trizah is firm and sweet at the same time. Her determination through her fitness journey is something that won't go unnoticed. I have been wondering how she has been able to follow through, religiously for years. To kick us off on our FOCUS series, she shares how it has been ever since she started. I have known you for close to 5 years now. If I were to describe you I would have my own adjectives..very many at that considering how much of a pillar you have been in my life ever since our paths crossed. Today I would like you to tell us about Trizah. Who is Trizah? Trizah is a Christian, a mother of two boys aged 6(turning 7 in June) and 3(turning 4 in April),a wife, a sister and a friend. Am extremely loyal to my friends and am too kind often... I hurt when people take that for granted but hey it’s life!! I live one