Skip to main content

'FOCUS' INTERVIEW: Trizah's fitness journey



I have known Trizah for quite some time now. She has been a source of encouragement at a personal level as I have loved all the values she stands for. Trizah is firm and sweet at the same time. Her determination through her fitness journey is something that won't go unnoticed. I have been wondering how she has been able to follow through, religiously for years. To kick us off on our FOCUS series, she shares how it has been ever since she started.



I have known you for close to 5 years now. If I were to describe you I would have my own adjectives..very many at that considering how much of a pillar you have been in my life ever since our paths crossed. Today I would like you to tell us about Trizah. Who is Trizah?

Trizah is a Christian, a mother of two boys aged 6(turning 7 in June) and 3(turning 4 in April),a wife, a sister and a friend. Am extremely loyal to my friends and am too kind often... I hurt when people take that for granted but hey it’s life!! I live one day at a time, I stop as often as possible to smell the flowers watch sunsets and sunrises too!! Above all am self driven and a strong fitness enthusiast.... ok too much for an intro.


Tell us about your fitness journey? When did you begin?

My fitness journey started in September 2015. Due to my nature, I am always feeling the need of stepping in and being of assistance to anyone who needs my help, in my place of work we get new members of staff joining us every academic year, being new in a country can be quite horrifying is you lack support so to help fellow staff members settle in easily and understand their environment I started a running club. I figured it would help us know each other better besides I was struggling with baby weight at the moment, killing two birds with a single stone, clever huh?




Later on that year in November I started training at the gym with an aim of toning. But like many people I struggled with consistency I would fall off a week and resume the next...

In 2016 January I took running way too seriously- it can be addictive. I did 5kms in a whooping 18 minutes 22 seconds now that gave me a different kind of a high!! 

Downside to running I lost a lot of weight, I now had to start gaining. Am still working on gaining weight!! Nothing as hard as that, it’s challenging for me given my body type but hey, I take challenges head on!!


Who/what inspired you? Is this something you started thinking about at a younger age?

It really just started as a social activity for me, then I got hooked. The more I achieved the better it felt,the more the results I saw. 
While growing up fitness wasn’t anything I fancied it even thought about.


How much preparation did you need to get started?

Interestingly, all I needed was a pair of nice looking sneakers which I got and some pretty looking gear too. Up to date a new gym outfit or shoe gets my motivation to a whole new level!! Am just a girl deep within.


















The main hinderance to the achievement of most dreams, mine included, is and has been lack of focus, lack of commitment. How have you managed to stay on course? 

It is very hard to fall off when you can see achievements in all you do. For instance I love celebrating little things in life and in my own journey, when I started I used to run out of breath so easily, just a flight of staircase was enough to get my tongue out and have me breathing like an old cow, when I realised that stopped I was over the moon!! Once lifting 5 kilos dumbbell was so tiring when I realised I make deliberate decisions to go to 15 kgs you would have thought I have won a rotary!!

Let me breakout down, don’t be too focused on the millions you want to get and forget a single shilling is part of the millions without which they wouldn’t be millions, learn to celebrate the little victories cumulatively they add on to the main achievement. Remain Focused!! 

At times there won’t be even that little achievement to celebrate, those are the days you have to remember you have done it before so can you do it again, and that no matter what TOMORROW IS ALWAYS A BETTER DAY!!



What positive changes has this exercise brought to your life?

Discipline, Commitment and a lot of self fulfilment.


Any negative impacts at all?

I wouldn’t term them as negatives per say though I used to view it that way
  1. People will poke their noses into your business including the most private ones.
  2. They will always ask who you want to fight. In my case they kept passing comments of how my husband is in trouble 
  3. They say you will look like s man when you lift weights. Am still waiting for the day I look like a man 


How is your normal morning routine like? Being a wife and a mother how do you manage to balance your day?

I wake every day with the exception of Sunday’s at 4:00 am. I pack snacks for my sons and prepare breakfast, I then prepare myself and leave the house at 4:45 am. Am at the gym mostly by 5 am I train until 6:45 or 7 at times. I report to my office at 7:30 am and work till 5:00 pm. After which I will get home and do homework with boys as I juggle preparing dinner I try as much as possible to sleep at 8:00 pm. Sometimes I work late, such times are challenging as I Love my sleep but I still manage at least 6 hours of sleep on a tight scheduled day.


Do you have any boot camp activities lined up for the year? How can we follow and join?

Absolutely!!

Boot camps happen every Saturday morning from 5:50 to 7:00 am. Sometimes indoors sometimes outdoors.

We are currently organizing a hike as an activity, dates to be confirmed due to the current weather. For only Ksh.2,800 per person includes park fees, guards fees, transport, food and hot beverages. You are allowed to carry your drinks and snacks- a mountain looks better from the top, so we will summit. 

As I am not the kind to count eggs before they hatch, a lot of things are happening in the background and will come to light in due time. In the meantime you can follow me on IG @mudenganitrizah or fb on @Trizah Mudengani. DM or inbox me for any questions or information.



Any favourite quotes/books that have helped in your journey?

Be careful what you wish for. You might just get it - King Midas 

Favourite read at the moment is irresistible by Larry Liza (poetry book) and Bridge to Haven by Francine Rivers


Any special dedications?

Everything I have achieved I owe it to God and dedicate it to my Mother- the greatest woman ever to have existed.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Kusoma Tu Trust - What you need to know

I first learnt of  Kusoma Tu Trust  while working at  Haba Haba . We had just launched this amazing learning and revision application -  Revision844  and were looking to work with various schools to test the app. The fact that the Kusoma Tu had piloted in a primary school that I had attended got me really excited and I wanted to know even more about it. A briefing during a visit to Kawangware Primary school. With the Habahaba.co team. Have you ever pictured yourself being in a situation where it's just a few months to your final exams yet you do not even know how to write your own name? Not being able to read simple 3 lettered words? How then would you be able to read questions, understand them and provide answers in the so called National (final) exam? What value will you have gotten out of primary school with? Some of the advanced readers. It was a joy going through passages together Well, as unbelievable as it may sound, there are kids who go through scho

A sister needs help - Help bury Wacuka's dad

I met Phyllis Wacuka Munene for the very first time in 2007, during an interview for bright female students who would later on be sponsored for Engineering courses by the Government of Kenya through the National Industrial Training Council. Phyllis and I were part of the 7 lucky beneficiaries sent to The Eldoret Polytechnic, where I studied Civil Engineering and she, Mechanical Engineering, plant division. Being in a completely new town and for the very first time in our lives saw to it that we stayed closely knit together as friends and more of a family. Our graduation day in 2010 Today Wacuka is one very sad lady. She lost her dad who was the sole bread winner, only remaining parent and best friend to her. She celebrates the moments they shared during his time on earth and how he was dedicated to raising his kids (Wacuka and her younger brother). What breaks her is the fact that her desire to lay the remains of her dad to rest are far from a dream at the moment. P